President & Chief Investment Officer at Aviance Capital Management
Record Date: 6/27/17
Today I spoke with a man that regularly gives his insight on CNBC about financial markets. He has been an analyst and a portfolio manager. He’s currently the president and Chief Investment Officer of Aviance Capital Management. His name is Chris Bertelsen.
Chris does not focus on Futures, but as a long time futures trader I love to hear what other market participants think about the current theme of the market. This provides a perspective of what large portfolio managers are thinking. Today I asked Chris where he thinks we are in this Equity bull market. You may be surprised where Chris thinks we are.
We then talked about growth in the US and how the Bond market is calling the Fed’s bluff. We spoke about the FANG Stocks and their impact on the S&P. He gives us a foolproof plan for the government to create stimulus.
Finally, we discussed the flows between sectors and he explains what to watch for. Chris is a really smart guy who I really enjoyed speaking with and I know you will enjoy hearing his insight on the markets…as usual thank you all for listening and please enjoy this episode.
- He says we’re in the 4th inning of this bull market, or the middle stages. Explains where he sees it going from here.
- Chris talks about growth in U.S using inflation rates, unemployment rates, and fed rate hikes. Bond market calling fed’s bluff.
- Big tech stocks (FANG) are leading the market’s higher when other sectors aren’t. He says be careful.
- He presents a foolproof stimulus plan for govt. Deregulate!
- Gives the flows between sectors right now, and explains what to watch for.
- How has your trading evolved?
- It’s become more selective. Focus on what you know and understand.
- The moment trading just clicked for you?
- He looked at the extremes in energy, and found that going against all the big players worked out for him.
- 1 source you spend your time on?
- He watches the flow from sector to sector.
- Favorite Book About Trading:
- Reminiscence of a Stock Operator. Jesse Livermoore.
- Favorite Movie About Trading:
- Wall Street w/ Michael Douglas
- Best Advice Ever Received About Trading:
- Trust your instincts once you have a feel for it.
- Advice to Give to New People About Trading:
- Look for extremes. Step on the other side of the crowd.
- If you weren’t a trader you’d be what?
- I’m a car guy, I’d be working for Ford or Mercedes.
- “The Fed has perpetuated a real tough situation for seniors and savers by keeping the rates extremely low…” 12:00