Co-Founder & CIO of Altegris Advisors
Record Date: 5/10/17
Today I spoke to a man who began his career in the financial markets in New Zealand, moved to the U.S. and got involved in the Futures Markets and never looked back. His name is Matt Osborne and is the Co-Founder and CIO of Altegris Advisors.
[bctt tweet=”#FuturesRadio ‘managed futures have a history of providing strong performance while everything else melts around it” username=”Altegris”]
Matt and I talked about the evolution of Managed Futures. We discussed the benefits and risks with managed futures and he told us why he believes investors should have them in their portfolio.
Finally we touched on what it takes for traders to become managed futures advisers and we chatted about the current trading environment in the markets.
Matt is a really great guy who has spent a lot of years in the managed futures space so it was great to his insight on how they work and why investors should be taking a serious look at them.
- Matt’s take on the evolution of the managed futures business.
- Why people should have managed futures in their portfolio. What’s driving people into them.
- Volatility environment and why it can change fast. There’s incredible opportunity for instability.
- What are the different risks in managed futures.
- The barriers to enter the managed futures markets.
- 1 source you spend your time on?
- Bloomberg, Fuller Tracy Money
- Favorite Book About Trading:
- Market Wizards Original
- Favorite Movie About Trading:
- Trading Places, Billions
- Best Advice Ever Received About Trading:
- Diversify your portfolio and your managers.
- Advice to Give to Others About Trading:
- Read everything. Get yourself self educated.
- If you weren’t a trader you’d be what?
- A struggling actor.
- “If you add managed futures to a 60/40 portfolio it can reduce overall volatility…”7:00
- “Managed futures have a history of providing strong performance while everything else melts around it…”8:00
- “Investors consider what they have in their portfolio that can provide them with uncorrelated r eturn in an environment that’s different than the one today…”12:00
- “There’s a lot of risk on the horizon that could drive up volatility…”13:00